- Have you ever had a time when you needed a friend and they did not come through? How did you feel?
- Read John 11:1-44
- What can you gather about Jesus' relationship with Mary, Martha & Lazarus from this passage? (v. 3, 6, 21-2, 35)
- How do you think they felt when Jesus waited two days to see Lazarus, was this what they would have expected from him? How do you think they felt when Jesus didn’t respond immediately?
- How do the two sisters respond? Which one do you relate with? How do you tend to respond to Jesus when things don’t go as expected?
- How do the hardships we experience in life teach us things about God that we never knew? What did Martha and Mary learn from this interaction with Jesus?
- Read Jesus prayer in verses 41-42. What does this teach us about Jesus’ intentions?
MAKING IT PERSONAL:
- Is there an area of your life where you feel like you are still waiting for God to respond? How did this sermon/study encourage you in your journey?
- Review the truths that Mary and Martha proclaim about Jesus. What truth about Jesus do you need to proclaim in order to grow in faith and trust in him when things don’t go as expected?
- What is one take away from this study that you will commit to place into action?