Life Group Study Guide: Loved what you heard on Sunday? Want to go deeper? The life group study guide will help you unpack what you heard on Sunday, while diving deeper into God's word.
- Do you tend to be a follower or a leader? Where do you feel most comfortable? How do your circumstances dictate when you choose to lead, or when you choose to follow?
Read Galatians 5:14-24
- According to Galatians 5:16-17, what is going on inside every Christian? What causes the Christian’s inner moral conflict? How would you describe the difference between being led by the spirit vs. following after the flesh?
- The word “desires” in Galatians 5:16-17 literally means “over-desires,” or when we feel that we must have something. It is an all-controlling emotional drive or longing for something. It is treating a good thing as though it is a god thing. What does this tell us about how our sinful nature works?
- Look at the manifestations of the flesh in Galatians 5:19-20. Pick out two or three. How are these the consequences of “over-desire?”
- Which of the works of the flesh are most common and most acceptable in our culture? In contrast to that, which aspects of the fruit of the Spirit are least noticed and celebrated within the church at large?
- Think through the fruit of the Spirit in Galatians 5:22-23. According to
verse 18, 22, and 25, what is our part in producing these qualities?
What is the Spirit’s part?
Make It Personal:
- Verse 24 tells us those that belong to Christ will crucify the flesh. How do we do that practically?
- How can you see the fruit of the Spirit growing in your life? Do you have natural characteristics which could be confused with the fruit of the Spirit? How can you tell the difference? Which fruit of the Spirit do you chronically lack?