Life Group Study Guide: Loved what you heard on Sunday? Want to go deeper? The life group study guide will help you unpack what you heard on Sunday, while diving deeper into God's word.
- How do you feel heading into the Christmas Season? Is this a positive or negative season for you?
- Do you find it difficult to believe in the details of the Christmas story? Why or why not?
The Christmas story didn’t begin with shepherds watching over their flocks, wise men following a star, and a young couple that couldn’t find a place to have their baby. It began much earlier than that, and it was more epic than anyone could have imagined.
Read Genesis 12:1-3
- If you were Abraham, what would you do if you were in his shoes? Would you stay in the place you were comfortable, or would you step out in faith to follow a God you did not know?
- What did God actually promise to Abraham if he did obey God?
Read Hebrews 11:8-10
- What does Hebrews tell us motivated Abraham to trust in God even though the promise God made seemed unbelievable, impossible, and incomprehensible? How might you show the same trust this holiday season?
- In what ways does God’s promise to Abraham change your view of the Christmas Story?
Read Isaiah 49:6 and Malachi 1:11
- What did God promise through these verses? What do these verses tell you about God’s character?
- How are you living proof that God fulfilled this promise?
MAKING IT PERSONAL:
The Christmas story didn’t begin with Joseph and Mary in a manger. It began with God making an unbelievable, impossible, incomprehensible promise to a man named Abraham. That promise carried through the entire history of ancient Israel and beyond.
- How do you find yourself personally relating to the passages you read in this study?
- What is one take away, insight, or action step that you will take as a result of this study?
- Where in your life are you currently facing an impossible circumstance? How might the Christmas story give you hope in this circumstance?
180-Day Guided Tour of the Bible
Reading Plan for Week of December 3rd
Day 41: 2 Samuel 6: King of Passion
Day 42: 1 Chronicles 17: God’s House
Day 43: Psalm 103: The Goodness of God
Day 44: 2 Samuel 11: Adultery and Murder
Day 45: 2 Samuel 12: Caught in the Act