Life Group Study Guide: Loved what you heard on Sunday? Want to go deeper? The life group study guide will help you unpack what you heard on Sunday, while diving deeper into God's word.
- When you were young, whose approval meant the most to you? Why?
Read John 12:27-50 (ESV)
- What was Jesus’ message to the crowds?
- What proof did the crowds have to believe in the message that Jesus declared?
- How did the crowds respond to Jesus? How would you have responded to Jesus’ message if you were in the crowds?
- What excuse does John give as to why the crowds responded the way they did? (vs. 42)
- In what ways do you experience the temptation to love the glory of man more than the glory of God?
- What warning and encouragement does Jesus give to the crowds? (vs. 44-50)
- What might it have looked like for the crowds who believed in Jesus’ message to confess it? How might we confess the message of Jesus today? What is the risk? Reward?
Make It Personal:
- Have you ever cared too much about what others thought? How did your desire for approval affect you?
- On Sunday, Pastor Jason described three problems people-pleasers battle: obsessing over what others think, feeling overly sensitive to criticism, and having a hard time saying “no.” Which problem most describes you? Why do you think you have a hard time with that particular problem?
- In what ways is fearing what others think a trap?
- Read Galatians 1:10. If we were to prioritize Christ’s approval over the approval of others, how might that change our lives and our relationships?
- What are some ways you can stop seeking approval from others, and what are some steps you can take to truly start embracing who God says you are?
- On Sunday, you received a list of ‘I am’ statements taken from scripture. Which ‘I am’ statement do you have the hardest time accepting? Which ‘I am’ statement means the most to you? Which ‘I am’ statement will you commit to speak over your life this week?
- What is one take away, or action that you will commit to as a result of this study?