Life Group Study Guide: Loved what you heard on Sunday? Want to go deeper? The life group study guide will help you unpack what you heard on Sunday, while diving deeper into God's word.
- What has stirred up compassion in you lately?
Read John 19:17-27
- What stands out to you from this passage of scripture? Give the Holy Spirit a moment to lead you to specific thoughts, words, or phrases. What insight, questions, or observations do you have? Write them down, and as a group try to answer them?
- John, the author of the Gospel of John, places himself at the scene of Jesus crucifixion. Has does this impact the way we read this text?
- Place yourself in Mary and John’s position. What are you thinking? What are you feeling?
- What is the significance of Jesus’ words to Mary and John?
- What did Jesus provide to Mary and John that he also proved to us?
Making it Personal
- When you need comfort or compassion who do you tend to go to?
- Have you ever found yourself compassionate and angry at the same time? Share an example with your group. How do you reconcile these two emotions?
- Read Psalm 78:38-39, Psalm 86:15, Psalm 103:8, and Psalm 145:8-9. How is God’s compassion described in these verses?
- What role does the church have in reflecting God’s compassionate heart to the world? Where have you seen the Church do a good job? Where have you seen the Church do a poor job?
- Where is one area of your life that you are having a hard time reflecting God’s compassion to another? What needs to change for you to be more compassionate?
- How has God’s word encouraged you personally, through this study, or Sunday’s sermon?