Life Group Study Guide: Loved what you heard on Sunday? Want to go deeper? The life group study guide will help you unpack what you heard on Sunday, while diving deeper into God's word.
- When you were a kid, did you have an arch nemesis or someone you held a grudge against?
Read Luke 23:26-43
- What stands out to you from this passage of scripture? Give the Holy Spirit a moment to lead you to specific thoughts, words, or phrases. What insight, questions, or observations do you have? Write them down, and as a group try to answer them.
- What do you find significant about how Jesus responded to the women who mourned for Him as He went to His death?
- What do you find significant about Jesus’ prayer for those who were responsible for crucifying Jesus?
- What did the criminal who was welcomed into Jesus’ Kingdom do to deserve such mercy?
- How did Jesus’ actions on the cross demonstrate the power of the words He preached? (Luke 6:28-31, Matthew 5:43-45)
Making it Personal
- In your experience, what makes it so difficult to forgive others when they have hurt you?
- In both Luke 6 and Matthew 5, Jesus tells His listeners to pray for our enemies. Why? What role does prayer play in having a God-oriented view of who is our neighbor and who is our enemy?
- Read Deuteronomy 32:35 and Romans 12:19.Why does God declare “vengeance is mine?” What is the danger we face when we take it upon ourselves to seek vengeance?
- In what ways have you experienced someone giving you mercy when they had it in their power to punish or harm?
- Have you ever forgiven someone who has seriously hurt or wounded you? What process or steps did you take to forgive and continue to forgive?
- How has God’s word encouraged you personally, through this study or Sunday’s sermon?