Life Group Study Guide: Loved what you heard on Sunday? Want to go deeper? The life group study guide will help you unpack what you heard on Sunday, while diving deeper into God's word.
- What are some bumper-sticker theology sayings that you have often heard? (Examples: God just wants you to be happy! Let go, let God!)
Read 2 Corinthians 1:3-11
- What stands out to you from this passage of scripture? Give the Holy Spirit a moment to lead you to specific thoughts, words, or phrases. What insight, questions, or observations do you have? Write them down, and as a group try to answer them.
- Do you think the Apostle Paul would agree with the statement, “God will not give you more than you can handle?”
- How does Paul describe God in relation to his suffering?
- What theological truths is Paul trying to pass on to the Corinthians from the lessons he learned from his own season of suffering?
- What role did the Church play in Paul’s season of suffering?
Making it Personal:
- What would you tell a young believer that was experiencing a season of suffering, and questioning why God would allow it?
- Have you ever experienced a trail that felt like it was more than you could handle? What helped you find comfort in that season?
- Why do you think Christians are drawn towards bumper-sticker theology? Short gimmicky sayings that are often not really true?
- Rather than offering a pithy word of comfort to those in our lives that are experiencing a trail, what might be a better way to offer love, encouragement, and comfort?
- On Sunday, Pastor Jason gave us three reasons why God will allow us to experience more than we can handle. Review those three reasons. Which one have you experienced recently?
- How has God’s word encouraged you personally, through this study, or through Sunday’s sermon?