Life Group Study Guide: Loved what you heard on Sunday? Want to go deeper? The life group study guide will help you unpack what you heard on Sunday, while diving deeper into God's word.
- When was a time that you thought you were “so right!” but you ended up being so wrong?
Dig Deeper: Read 1 John 1:2 to 2:2
- What stands out to you from this passage of scripture? Give the Holy Spirit a moment to lead you to specific thoughts, words, or phrases. What insight, questions, or observations do you have? Write them down, and as a group try to answer them.
- In your own words, what is John’s big idea?
- How is Jesus described in this text? What role does He play in a believer’s life?
- Why do you think John compares our relationship with Jesus to light and darkness?
- What problem does John describe in this text? And how do we go about resolving it?
Making it Personal:
- Have you ever heard someone say, “It does not matter what I do as long as it hurts no one else”? Why do you think our culture likes this phrase? Why do you think we tend to minimize sin in our lives or in the lives of others?
- On Sunday, Pastor Jason exposed three cultural misbeliefs about sin. Review those points. Which ones have you found yourself falling for?
- If you were in a conversation with a young believer, how would you explain some behaviors that have helped you personally win the battle to overcome sin?
- How easy is it for you to see your own sin, and then to confess it early and often? What steps might you take to make this more of a habit?
- How easy is it for you to acknowledge when others sin against you, and then to quickly offer grace and forgiveness even if they do not seek it? What steps might you take to make this more of a habit?
- What does it look like to preach the gospel to yourself? How might you take steps to make this more of a habit?
- How has God’s word encouraged you personally, through this study, or Sunday’s sermon?