- What is the best second-chance story you have ever seen or experienced?
Read Jonah 3:1-10.
- What do we learn about Jonah, the Ninevites, and God from this passage of scripture? What other insights, observations, or questions do you have?
- Why did God give Jonah a second chance? How do you think Jonah felt about this second chance?
- We are told in verse 3, “Jonah obeyed,” and in verse 4, “Jonah began going.” What did it cost Jonah to begin obeying?
- Jonah went a day’s journey into the great city of Nineveh. Why is this significant? How might you have been feeling if you were Jonah traveling a full day’s journey into the heart of the Assyrian nation?
- What was God’s message to the Ninevites verse 4? What does God mean by overthrown? Why does God set a time limit?
- How did Nineveh respond to God’s word? Was this genuine repentance or something else?
Make It Personal:
- If you were to describe a genuine heart of repentance, what might true repentance look like?
- While you and I might not be called to go proclaim God’s message to the Ninevites, we, as disciples of Jesus, have been called to go. Read Matthew 28:16-20. What does it look like in our modern world to fulfill Jesus’ Great Commission?
- As Jonah started on his journey to Nineveh, he had to let go of some things: his anger toward the Ninevites; his view of God’s mercy; possibly his own life. What have you had to let go of as you stepped into God’s calling for your life?
- At first glance, the Ninevites’ repentance has all signs of being genuine. Historically, we know, however, they went back to their evil ways. Yet God still relented. Why do you think that is?
- On Sunday, Pastor Jason gave us the point, “Repentance is changing our god first, then our actions will follow.” What is the danger of seeking to change our actions rather than our worship?
- Sometimes we can find ourselves doing all the right things (even Godly things) for all the wrong reasons. How have you found this to be true in your own life?
- What do think matters more to God: outward obedience, or an inner heart of worship? Why?
- What is one take away that has impacted you as a result of this week’s study?