Life’s Tough Questions Study Guide Week 5
Can You Overcome Your Past?
Sunday October 30, 2016
- Were you ever caught in a childhood lie? What was the situation? How did your parents/teacher respond to you?
- If pastor Jason could only share one point from the message what would it be and why?
- Sometimes things from our past can haunt us. Mistakes, failures, traumas, and heartbreaks can trap us in their grasp and rob us of the future that God has for us. When we don’t deal with our past and properly address the issues, we often get stuck. Let’s take a look at the life of Peter and see how his past got him stuck and how he got unstuck.
- Read the following verses and jot down any insights, questions, or key observations you may have. Matthew 4:18-20; Matthew 16:18; Matthew 26:33-35; John 18:25-26; John 21:3-19
- What was Peter’s profession before he became a disciple?
- What did Jesus tell Peter in Matthew 16? What does this mean?
- What was Peter’s failure? How do you think he felt?
- After his failure what did he return to from his past at the cost of his future?
- How was he restored? How did he get unstuck from his past? Why do you think Jesus asked Peter three times? What did Jesus say was in store for Peter’s future?
- Is there a sin from your past that God exposed and set you free from? How has God used that experience in your life?
- Is there anything in your past that is robbing you of the future God has for you? What steps do you need to take to let go?