Life Group Study Guide: Loved what you heard on Sunday? Want to go deeper? The life group study guide will help you unpack what you heard on Sunday, while diving deeper into God's word.
- Have you ever been in the presence of someone great? Famous? Powerful? Who was it and what was that experience like?
Context: Worry this week was described as a preoccupation with the future. All of us at one point or another worry. We find ourselves dwelling on what has yet to happen. Worry is a reminder that we often lack what we need to help ourselves, we are limited, finite. While we have no control over the future we have a God who does. Psalm 139 gives us incredible insight into the character of who God is.
Read Psalm 139
- What do verses 1-6 reveal to us about God? What specific characteristic is on display?
- What does God know based on these verses? Do you believe we ever truly know ourselves completely?
- How do you feel about God’s omniscience, or total knowledge of you? Do these verses make you feel uncomfortable or bring you comfort? Do you feel protected or restricted by this truth?
- What are the advantages of God knowing everything about you? How could this be a source of motivation in your life?
- Why do you think David transitions into a series of questions in verses 7-12? What characteristic of God is on display in these verses?
- Have you ever found yourself wanting to hide from God and fear being exposed? Why does David want to remind us that we cannot hide from God’s presence?
- What advantage does God’s omnipresence provide us?
- What do verses 13-18 reveal to us about God? What characteristic is on display?
- What advantage does God’s omnipotence provide us?
- In light of all that David declares about God, he suddenly takes a turn in verses 19-24. What can we learn from David in this section of scripture? What has given him such raw boldness to pray such a prayer?
Make It Personal:
- Have you ever been in a situation or job where you felt like you lacked the abilities to do what was needed or required? How did that make you feel?
- How does the truth that God knows you, and knows what you need, change the way you see your current limitations or worries?
- On Sunday, Pastor Jason made the point, “Our faith grows when we trust in God in the uncertainties of life.” Where do you find yourself trusting in God in the uncertainties of your life? Where do you find yourself resistant to trust?
- Pastor Jason made the point, “Worry is like prayer in reverse.” How have you seen this to be true?
- If prayer is not for us to let God know about our worries because He already knows, but rather for us to be reminded that God already knows us and what we need, then how might this change the way we pray?
- In Matthew 6:33-34, Jesus says to seek first the kingdom of God rather than to worry and stress about tomorrow. How do we do this practically?
- What would it look like today in your present circumstances to first seek God’s agenda over your own agenda?
- What has God been speaking to you this week through this study or your own personal study?